When can employees change their life insurance coverage?
State of Minnesota employees can apply to increase Life insurance coverage by any amount up to the plan maximum for themselves or their spouses or their children at any time during the year. Evidence of insurability (EOI) will be required, for any elections of coverage, unless the change is made as part of a qualifying status change. During a qualifying status change:
- Newly married employees can add $5,000 or $10,000 of spouse life insurance without EOI within 30 days of marriage.
- Employees who acquire a new dependent child through marriage, birth or adoption may add Child Life within 30 days of the birth, adoption, or placement for adoption.
If you are not enrolled for child life, you can enroll for this coverage guaranteed during any future open enrollment period determined by the state.
How to apply
- Step 1: Download, print and complete the Optional Application form indicating the type and amount of insurance you wish to apply for.
- Step 2: Submit your completed Optional Application to Minnesota Management & Budget (MMB) whose address and fax number are shown at the bottom of the form. Employees can also submit the form to their Human Resource office who will forward it to MMB on their behalf.
- Step 3: MMB will notify Securian's Underwriting Department of your application.
- Step 4: The Underwriting Department will send an Evidence of Insurability request, with instructions, to your home. Learn more about the medical underwriting process.
- Step 5: You and MMB will be notified by mail when your application is approved or declined. If approved, MMB will take the appropriate steps to set up the payroll premium deduction. Coverage is not effective until Securian approves coverage and premium deductions are established.
Employees can also reduce life insurance coverage any time by submitting an Optional Application form to MMB.
If you have any questions, please contact Ochs, Inc. for assistance.