Learn how much life insurance is enough
How much life insurance you need depends on your financial situation and your specific circumstances at this point in your life.
Our insurance needs calculator takes into account your marital status, age, and life stage to help you estimate how much insurance you may need to meet your financial goals – whether that’s covering the cost of college, paying off debts, funding charitable organizations or keeping your family in their home.
Everyone’s situation is unique and only you can determine the exact amount of life insurance you need.
- Single and in your 20s; you may need life insurance to pay off student loans, car payments, credit cards and other debts so they do not become the responsibility of another family member. Hard as it is to imagine, if you die, your family also needs cash on hand to cover your final expenses.
- Married with young children; you most likely have modest savings and big responsibilities — a mortgage, child care and other monthly bills. If you die prematurely, life insurance will help your spouse maintain your home and provide for your children’s support, now as well as in the future.
- Single parent and sole breadwinner; life insurance will help cover your children’s day care costs and other living expenses and fulfill plans for their future education if you are no longer there to provide for them.
- Married homeowner with no children; life insurance can provide the money to meet financial goals and help your spouse hold onto the assets and the lifestyle you’ve both worked hard to achieve.
- Married with college-age children and/or elderly parents; a premature death could deplete your retirement savings or other assets. Life insurance can help replace lost income to cover the cost of current living expenses, college tuition and/or your parents’ care.
- Married with grown children; you may want to consider life insurance as an opportunity for supporting your favorite charities, building a legacy for your children and grandchildren or covering estate taxes.