Accidental death insurance
Group accidental death insurance is automatically provided by NASSP to its eligible members, in the amount of $5,000. This provides a base level of protection for your family, in the event your death is the result of a covered accident.
Accidental death benefit
Accidental death means that your death results from a covered accidental injury that was unintended, unexpected, and unforeseen. The accidental injury and your death must occur while your coverage is in force. Your death must occur within 180 days after the date of the accidental injury.
The $5,000 benefit will be paid in a single sum. Interest will be paid from the date of death to the date of payment.
Coverage ends when the group policy ends or you are no longer an eligible member of NASSP, whichever is earlier.
The benefit will be paid to:
- your lawful spouse, if living; otherwise to
- your natural or legally adopted child(ren) in equal shares, if living; otherwise to
- your parents in equal shares, if living; otherwise to
- the personal representative of your estate.
Securian Financial needs written notice on which the claim is based within 30 days after the date of your death. Proof of death must be furnished to Securian Financial within 90 days of the date of death.
In no event will Securian Financial pay the accidental death benefit where your death results from or is caused directly or indirectly by any of the following:
- suicide or attempted suicide, whether sane or insane; or
- your participation in or attempt to commit a felony; or
- bodily or mental infirmity, illness, or disease; or
- drugs, poisons, gases or fumes that are voluntarily taken, administered, absorbed, inhaled, ingested or injected; or
- bacterial infection, other than infection occurring simultaneously with, and as a result of, the accidental injury; or
- travel or flight in or on, or descent from or with, any type of military aircraft; or
- war or any act of war, whether declared or undeclared.
Group accidental death insurance is provided under policy form series MHC-98-13450 and any state variation thereof.